Gingivitis is a reversible infection of the gums that has several causes. The most important aspect to remember about gingivitis is that it is a precurser to Periodontal Disease which has irreversible effects. Gingivitis is not something to ignore!
What are the signs of gingivitis?
- Red and/or tender gums (gums should be a light pink color)
- Gums bleed easily (blood in saliva when brushing)
- Gums seem "loose" around the teeth (gums should adapt tightly around the teeth)
What the main causes of gingivitis?
- Plaque - builds up on teeth throughout the day and needs to be removed by brushing and flossing
- Calculus - forms when plaque is left on teeth and becomes mineralized through presence of saliva
- Pregnancy - hormone changes associated with pregnancy can lead gingivitis, or worsen gingivitis that may already be present before the pregnancy
Click on Following Link for Photos, Video and More: http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/g/gum-disease.aspx