Bonding simply involves bonding resin filling material over the surface of a tooth. This is usually completed without any preparation of the tooth and is completed in one appointment with no lab time required.
What can be accomplished with Bonding?
- Cover staining that can not be removed through whitening
- Fill spacing (diastemas) between teeth
- Recontour teeth that are chipped, malformed, small or otherwise perceived undesirable to the patient
- Create the illusion of having had orthodontic treatment (braces)
Advantages of Bonding to Alternatives?
- Bonding can be accomplished in one appointment
- Can customize shades and other characteristics
- Significant cost savings compared to porcelain veneers
Disadvantages of Bonding to Alternatives?
- Not as strong as porcelain alternatives and are prone to chipping
- Will slowly pick up stain over time, requiring occasional repolishing and additional resin to keep looking natural
Pictures & Video: http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/c/composite-fillings.aspx